What is the best month to visit Algarve?
The best time to visit the Algarve is during the shoulder seasons of spring (April to June) and autumn (September to October). During these months, the weather is pleasant, with warm temperatures, fewer crowds, and lower accommodation prices compared to the peak summer season. Spring brings blooming flowers and green landscapes, while autumn offers mild temperatures ideal for outdoor activities and sightseeing. However, if you prefer hotter weather and bustling beach scenes, the summer months (July to August) are popular but can be quite crowded.
Can I get around the Algarve without a car?
The Algarve region has a relatively efficient public transportation system, including buses and trains that connect major towns and tourist destinations. Many popular areas are accessible by public transport, making it a viable option for budget-conscious travellers. Additionally, taxis and ride-hailing services are available in urban areas. If you plan to explore off-the-beaten-path locations, renting a car might be more convenient. We can arrange car hire for your holiday – simply get in touch to find out more.
Public transport, taxis and bicycle rental in the Algarve:
The Algarve offers several transportation options for getting around the region:
- Public Buses: The regional bus network connects major towns and attractions. It is an affordable and convenient way to travel between different areas in the Algarve.
- Trains: The train service runs between major towns along the coastline, providing a scenic way to travel and avoiding traffic congestion.
- Taxis: Taxis are widely available in urban areas and can be hailed on the street or found at taxi stands. They are a good option for shorter trips or when public transport is less accessible.
- Rental Cars: Renting a car is a popular choice for those who want to explore the region independently and reach more remote locations. We can help with car hire in the Algarve.
- Bicycle Rentals: Some towns, especially smaller ones, offer bicycle rental services, allowing you to explore at a leisurely pace and enjoy the scenic landscapes.
What’s the nearest airport to the Algarve?
Faro Airport is the Algarve’s regional airport, located 4 km outside of Faro which is the largest city on the Algarve. Lisbon and Seville are also accessible airports for travellers visiting the region, each a 2.5/3hr drive from the Algarve.
What’s the currency in the Algarve?
The currency used in the Algarve, as well as throughout Portugal, is the Euro (€), with the currency code EUR. It’s the official currency of the country and is widely accepted for all transactions, including shopping, dining, and other expenses in the Algarve region. It’s recommended to have some Euros on hand when traveling to the Algarve, as while credit and debit cards are widely accepted, there may be places where cash is preferred, especially in smaller establishments or more rural areas.
Is the Algarve family friendly?
Yes, the Algarve is known for being a family-friendly destination. It offers a wide range of attractions, activities, and amenities that make it a great choice for families travelling with children of all ages.
What is the least rainy month in Portugal?
Generally, the least rainy month in Portugal is July. During the summer months, Portugal experiences less rainfall, and July is typically the driest period. However, it’s essential to note that Portugal’s climate can vary across regions, and the Algarve, being in the southern part of the country, tends to have a Mediterranean climate with mild, wet winters and hot, dry summers. Rainfall is generally lower during the summer season, making it an attractive time to visit for those seeking sunny and dry weather.